Thursday, 16 August 2007

Leaving home again...

Welcome to this imaginatively entitled blog 'Joe in Uganda'. Hopefully, to use a Hollowayism it will be just like Ronseal and keep everyone who's remotely interested updated on what I get up to from Friday onwards, when I move to Kampala to take a two year Masters course in International Relations and Diplomatic Studies. I will be studying at Makerere University, one of the oldest in Africa with an impressive alumni list including a number of current and past African Presidents, several prominant writers and other public figures such as John Sentamu, the first black Archbishop of the Church of England (in York). Apart from that I know relatively little about what I am about to throw myself into. There are apparently 25 other people on the course and a healthy number of international students, the vast majority being from other African countries. In terms of Europeans the wonders of Facebook have thrown up a few Norwegians that are going to be at Makerere over the coming semester. My overall feelings at the moment are a mixture of great excitement and a little apprehension, which I'm sure is natural at such a big move.

I am also slightly worried that I as yet have no confirmed accommodation. I have been promised a room in Dag Hammerskjold postgrad hall but the warden hasn't got back to me yet. Anyway at $15o a term I am not expecting too much...Regardless though it will good to be on campus and I reckon that will be one of the best ways of getting to know my fellow students. There are over 30,000 undergrads which is a bit daunting, especially as that suggests the football team will be of a seriously high quality. My pre-season of golf and the Salusbury is probably not the best preparation either!

Anyway I hope you will drop by and let me know what you're up to as well. I think there is a comments section which people can use (which will of course be heavily moderated...) and I will post my Ugandan phone number up here when I get it sorted next week. Otherwise look forward to seeing everyone again for the Christmas holidays...

No comments: