Thursday, 13 December 2007

Guardian Article Online Now...

The following is an extract from an article I've done for The Guardian, which was published online today at:

http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/postgraduate/story/0,,2226342,00.html

Hope you take a look...

"Makerere University in Kampala, Uganda, may not be the obvious choice for those wishing to pursue postgraduate study away from the UK. On meeting Ugandan students for the first time I invariably get asked, "What are you doing here?"

The idea that someone would turn down a British university to come to Africa is near incomprehensible to those who want to study in the western world. However, I wanted a totally different experience from my undergraduate days at Cambridge and my home city of London. I had been to Uganda before as a volunteer teacher helping to build what has since become a strong sister relationship with my secondary school. I had not visited Makerere, but had heard it spoken of by Ugandan friends with great pride and affection..."

No comments: